Sacral or Svadhisthana Chakra
The sacral chakra is located in the lower abdomen, centered between the navel and the genitals and is the vortex of change, emotion, pleasure and movement. It deals with opposites, polarities and empathy. This chakra corresponds to the nerve ganglion, is connected to the sciatic nerve, and is frequently referred to as the “seat of life”. The Chinese I Ching system is based in an understanding of this chakra as is Tai Chi (yin/yang).
Sacral Chakra Symbols, Sounds, and Associations
Lotus Symbols: There are six lotus petals, usually vermilion in color. There are also two inner six-petaled lotuses (not shown) and within the middle lotus is the crescent moon. A makara, a water creature physically similar to an alligator with a coiled tail, is within the moon. Above the bija or seed symbol are Visnu and Shaki Rakin
- Sanskrit Name and Meaning: Svadhisthana – sweetness
- Location: Hypogastric plexus; genitals, womb
- Element: Water
- Parts of the Body: ovaries, testicles, womb, genitals, kidney, bladder, circulatory system
- Malfunction: impotence, frigidity, uterine, bladder, or kidney trouble, stiff lower back
- Bija Sound: Vang
- Petal Sounds: Bang, Bhang, Mang, Vang, Rang, Lang
- Animals: Makara, fish, sea creatures
- Yoga Path: Tantra yoga
- Incense: orris root, gardenia, damiana
- Minerals: carnelian, moonstone, coral
Deities: Indra, Varuna, Vishnu, Rakini, Diana, Jemaya, Tiamat, Mari, Conventina, Poseidon, Lir, Ganymede, Dionysius, Pan.