Heart or Anahata Chakra:
The heart chakra is located in the heart area and is the vortex of balance, love, compassion, healing, and unity. The heart is the termination point of the sacred spiral, the intersection point of the body, the center point, the balance point. According to the Upanishads it is “When all the knots of the heart are unloosened, then even here in this human birth, the mortal becomes immortal. This is the whole teaching of the scriptures.” Anodea Judith in “Wheels of Life” indicates that understanding and control of the breath are required to open the heart chakra.
When the heart chakra is beginning to open, Dr. Motoyama indicates in his book Theories of the Chakras, that there is often pain in the front of the chest or irregular function of the heart, like an accelerated pulse. When meditating, a disc of deep vermillion or golden light is often preceived on front of the heart or the third eye.
Heart Chakra Symbols, Sounds, and Associations
Lotus Symbols: There are twelve lotus petals encasing a six-pointed star. An antelope runs at the bottom most point of the star. Above the bija or seed symbol are Isvara and Shakti Kakini.
- Sanskrit Name and Meaning: Anahata – unstruck, unhurt, fresh, clean
- Location: heart
- Element: Air
- Parts of the Body: thymus, lungs, heart, pericardium, arms, hands
- Malfunction: asthma, high blood pressure, heart disease, lung disease
- Bija Sound: Yang
- Petal Sounds: Kang, Khang, Gang, Ghang, Yong, Cang, Chang, Jang, Jhang, Uang, Tang, Thang
- Animals: antelope, birds, dove
- Yoga Path: Bhakti yoga
- Incense: yarrow, jasmine, lavendar, orris root, meadowsweet, marjoram
- Minerals: emerald, jade, rose quartz
Deities: Vishnu, Krishna, Lakshmi, Kama, Isvara, Vayu, Aditi, Urvasi, Eros, Freyja, Maat, Aphrodite, Isis, Aeolus, Shu, Asclepius, Pan, Dian Cecht.