Third Eye or Ajna Chakra:
The third eye is located between the eyebrows and is the vortex of intuition, imagination, visualization, clairvoyance and vision. Many believe that this chakra is connected with the pineal gland and is the “seat of the soul”. It vibrates at a higher frequency than sound. The third eye’s vibration is that of light.
Third Eye Symbols, Sounds, and Associations
Lotus Symbols: There are two white lotus petals that look somewhat like wings on which the inner spirit can soar and a yellow or golden triangle pointing down. The symbol resembles an actual eye. Below the bija or seed symbol is Hakini sitting on a white lotus with six arms and six red faces. Above her (and above the bija symbol) is the crescent moon and the “dot of manifestation”.
- Sanskrit Name and Meaning: Ajna – perception
- Location: Medula plexus, the point between the eyebrows
- Element: Light
- Parts of the Body: pineal, eyes
- Malfunction: blindness, eyestrain, blurred vision, headaches, nightmares
- Bija Sound: Aum
- Petal Sounds: Hang, Kshang
- Animal: Owl
- Yoga Path: Yantra yoga
- Incense: mugwort, saffron, star anise, acacia
- Minerals: star sapphire, lapis lazuli, quartz
Deities: Shakti Hakini, Krishna, Paramasiva, Isis, Themis, Apollo, Iris, Morpheus, Tara, Hecate, Belenos