Crown or Sahasrara Chakra:
The crown chakra is located above the head and is the vortex of consciousness and transcendence. When developed we discover the thousand-petaled lotus blooming at the top of the head. In Sanskrit, this chakra is called the Sahasrara, meaning thousandfold or infinite. Yogis call it the “seat of enlightenment”. The element of this chakra is thought and its function is knowing. This knowing comes from meditation.
Crown Chakra Symbols, Sounds, and Associations:
- Lotus Symbols: There are 1,000 lotus petals representing the infinite. In the center of this lotus symbol is the full moon.
- Sanskrit Name and Meaning: Sahasrara – thousandfold
- Location: top of the head
- Element: Thought
- Parts of the Body: pituitary gland, central nervous system, cerebral cortex
- Malfunction: inability to learn, confusion, apathy, alienation, depression, boredom
- Bija Sound: none
- Petal Sounds: none
- Animals: none associated.